Friday, December 18, 2009

Preparing for the storm....

As of 1157 this morning the National Weather Service is forcasting the following for our area:

Tonight: Snow, mainly after midnight. Low around 29. Northeast wind 7 to 10 mph increasing to between 15 and 18 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
Saturday: Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 30. Blustery, with a north wind between 17 and 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 8 to 12 inches possible.
Saturday Night: Snow, mainly before 4am. Low around 28. North wind between 14 and 16 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%.
Sunday: A chance of snow showers before 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 32. Northwest wind between 13 and 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
Sunday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 27.

Wow! And some other forecasters are predicting closer to 20" for parts of the region.

I am torn about this impending storm. I can't believe that this will be our second snowfall of the month. Second! Two weeks after our first fall. Did I mention our second snow fall!!?? And I would love to watch it fall snuggled up in my house. How often do I get to see snow!? But James and I were planning on traveling to Chesapeake to visit my mom, dad, and sister for Christmas and to celebrate my dad's birthday early (since we will be in New York for Christmas and have a really special package arriving on the 28th...stay tuned for that). And now with this storm coming I've had to rethink our travel plans.

We could make it out of Northern Virginia no problems tonight. But then on Sunday we would most likely spend an hour shoveling out our parking space and a path to the house. And that is not something I am interested in doing. Without winter boots on my feet (which by the way I just purchased a pair for our forecasted white Christmas in New York so they better arrive before we leave).

So I just spoke with my mom and she agreed that with this amount of snow coming to the area and the I-95 corridor that it would be best if we stayed put. I am sad that I won't see my parents before Christmas and for my father's birthday....but I'll make it up to them by making snowcream.....

No comments:

Post a Comment