Friday, February 25, 2011

There is in fact not an app for that....

As many of you know I use two modes of transportation to get to work: I drive my car to a Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA, a.k.a. Metro) parking garage at the Franconia-Springfield Station, and then I board a Metrorail train and ride to the Federal Triangle Station in downtown Washington, DC. Door to door is about 1 hour and 15 minutes.

I am in love with the majority of my commute since while on Metro I can read, knit, complete a Sudoku or crossword puzzle, and/or sleep. I am rather calm and relaxed. Aside for the occasional delays, noisy touristas, and the outrageous expense (it costs me $10.30 a day to take Metro based on my entrance and exit station, oh and I pay $4.50 to park at the garage, but in NYC it costs less than $3.00 to ride the Subway....anywhere you go) it is great.

What I would really love to have is an app for my Blackberry that can tell me when a train is coming into a station. Metro has a "schedule" that is has posted on it's website. But it is a joke. That schedule is never kept. During rush hour in the morning and the afternoon there is a train about every five to 10 minutes but outside of rush hour trains run about every 10 to 20 minutes. And you don't know how long of a wait you'll have until you are practically on the platform. James has a great app for his phone that shows him the train schedules in real time, so you know how long you have to hustle to catch a train. But I don't.

So here is my pitch to those app writing crazy entrepreneurs: write me an app for the Blackberry for Washington, DC Metro!!! I'll even pay for such an app!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment