Saturday, April 7, 2012

Doggie Dooley

This past Christmas my sister bought Lulu a Christmas present. I thought it was just a toy or something small. The biggest box she brought over was for the dog. I had no idea what would be inside of it. And when I opened the box on Christmas morning on behalf of Lulu, I started to laugh....it was a poo composter!

What is a poo composter? It is an in-ground pet waste toilet of sorts. The dog isn't expected to use the composter. It just breaks down the dog's poo naturally instead of using plastic bags going to a land fill. I've been talking about one for two years but didn't really find anything; apparently if I had searched "in-ground pet waste" instead of "poo composter" I would have found it much sooner. Regardless, the Doggie Dooley was installed last weekend.


The directions suggested installing the "toilet" away from the house, but with the size of our back yard that wasn't really an option, but this corner worked quite nicely.

Why did we wait so long? The "toilet" must be installed in a four foot hole. A four foot hole. So we had to wait for the ground to warm up and an extra pair of hands. James' brother-in-law John came in handy.

John and James made quick work of the four foot hole. However, it left a big pile of dirt in my backyard for a week.

To get it started you add 6 gallons of water and the digester power (which is added weekly).

Lulu wasn't that excited about the installation as much as I was. No more plastic bags! Except when we are in public and when the ground temperature falls below 40 degrees. Regardless I am very excited about this latest addition!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's a pretty cool contraption--I had no idea there was such a thing!

    ReplyDelete