Monday, August 29, 2011

Come on Irene....

We survived our second act of Mother Nature over the weekend. This time in the form of Hurricane Irene. She hit the coast of North Carolina at 0730 Saturday morning and slowly made her way North. The rain in Northern Virginia started just after 1000 and didn't stop until 0900 Sunday morning. I had a bet with my mom, that they would lose power at around noon on Saturday (they live in Hampton Roads which was within 30 miles of the eye of the storm), and I sadly lost that bet. So now I owe her a Peanut Buster Parfait from Diary Queen the next time I see her. They actually had power until about 2200 Saturday night, and I got word that the power came back on this morning, which is awesome since I thought they would be out for a least a week.

The House of Bartlett-Kerr was able to retain power and cable throughout the storm! Other than losing a branch from our Butterfly Bush there was no damage. Just a soggy back yard. Yesterday was so beautiful that we turned off the A/C and opened up the windows to let the last breezes of Irene cool and refresh the house. We grilled steaks for dinner and ate outside. It was awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment