Sunday, March 7, 2010

Finding treasures

This past weekend was DC Flea, an antiques and collectibles show out at the Dulles Expo Center. I started going back in 2005 on occasion and it seems that recently I am going every time. I love this show. Well, I really love any antiques and collectibles venue. It isn’t every one’s cup of tea, but it sure gets my pot boiling! My partners in crime this trip were Molly, Nancy (who was up visiting), and Laura. See below for my big scores:

This basket was my first purchase. I am a sucker for baskets and this was so unusual. I was able to talk the price down yay! (Especially since this vendor had a White Mountain hand-crank ice cream maker marked at $95 and you couldn’t even turn the crank the full circle. She clearly had no idea what she had or that it was way overpriced for an item that didn’t work.) I can’t wait to use this basket at the Farmer’s Market this year.


My second purchase came when Nancy found me in one aisle and dragged me to another. Molly was standing in front of a chest. I wasn’t in need of a chest until she opened the lid and the label inside proclaimed it to have been made by the Richmond Cedar Works! This company made wooden furniture and appliances between 1870 and 1960. Now what really makes it special to me is that the saw mill (named Camden Mills) which planed all the wood (juniper, cypress, and cedar) was located in Bells Mills, an African American community just down the road from where I grew up, on the Elizabeth River. I know exactly where the cedar wood for this chest came from (the Dismal Swamp), where it was processed (Camden Mills), and how it made it to the factory (the Elizabeth River). I have always wanted to own a piece of Richmond Cedar Works furniture and now I do!!!


Look how the label has survived! As if it was purchased and never used or opened. What a great piece.

However, the last owners decided to spray paint it white so James and I have a lot of work ahead of us to return it to its former glory. And several joints are loose. But for $40 it is worth it.

My last purchase was a ladder which I will use to hold blankets. I have been looking for something unique to hang blankets and I think I have found what I was looking for. And at a great price.


Now I just have to wait until July for the next event. If you are interested in joining us please let me know. It is always a great time. You never know what you will find. This weekend was no exception.

No comments:

Post a Comment