Monday, October 5, 2009

Elevator etiquette is dead

When I was a child my mother instilled in me the rules of the elevator:
  1. It is not a toy but in fact a mechanical system to move you between the floors of a tall building;
  2. Only hit the button for the floor you need;
  3. When waiting for an elevator stand to one side of the door in order to allow individuals already on the elevator room to exit before you enter.
The last rule is the most important in my opinion. And I now proclaim it is the most dead of all elevator rules. I work in an eight story building with five elevators and the two times I have taken the elevator to the first floor today I have had to stop mid stride to exit the elevator because some individual waiting for the elevator on the first floor had it in his or her mind that the elevator would be empty and there was no need to stand to one side of the elevator to allow exiting riders the room to exit. Instead I have to jolt myself to a stop and allow the other person to move out of the elevator door opening so I can continue on my way. Or they stand completely still and I have to move around them.

Elevator etiquette is dead. Start taking the stairs.

1 comment:

  1. Stand right, walk left! I will shout it from the mountain tops with you, my love!!!

    ReplyDelete