Monday, March 12, 2012

An itch to see some changes

Now that James and I are coming up on our first year in our first home, we have started to finally make changes. I sort of focused on furniture first (bookshelves, pie safes, dressers, etc.) and now I'm ready for paint and updates. Last weekend was the first major change we've made. And it was just because a got a bug up my butt to see something different for a change.

We painted and updated the fixtures in the master bathroom. I'm only talking about two and a half walls so it was really easy to tackle being so small and having paint left over from the old house. I wish I had thought to do a before and after photo. But alas, I'll only be able to provide an after photo....later. We need to touch up the ceiling and clean it first!

I really like it and it makes me feel like we've accomplished something. Especially since we also updated the light fixture over our vanity (which is outside the bathroom itself) from a horrible 1980s "modern" monstrosity to a simple bronze finished beauty. That was an adventure. And one that I hope doesn't repeat itself as we slowly replace the light fixtures throughout the house.I even went a little wild by replacing the switches and plugs with brown units instead of the traditional white or almond color and used bronzed plate covers! My sister graciously helped us out by replacing those outlets and switches, including those in the guest bedroom, guest bath, and in Jaime's room. We haven't figured out which breaker controls the outlets in Joe's room yet so they remain on the list to do. That breaker box is a blog post on its own.

The last new change we made was by rearranging our bedroom furniture so that we have easy access to our sole window. The cats and James absolutely love this new layout. You can now find Benning pretty much on the ottoman under the window catching the morning sun. Alexander loves to look out over the neighborhood.

The updated electrical flare will look really great once we get all the rooms painted. We've picked out all of the colors for the rooms except for a couple that we're still debating about. But that will take some time as the painting supplies are currently being used by Molly and Chris as they update their own house. A couple of years ago Molly and I combined our painting supplies to save on costs, so I'll have to time our projects in between their own painting projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment