Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Spring is in the air...and the touristas are on the ground

Today is the vernal equinox. What is that you might ask? Well....its the first day of spring! And guess what? It came six weeks after February 2nd. So regardless of the groundhog in Pennsylvania, spring is always six weeks away. And quite frankly that groundhog must have been hitting the hooch because these past six weeks have been mild. And I mean mild! As a matter of fact this March is fast becoming the warmest March on record for the Washington, DC area. It hit the high 80s last week and looks to stay in the 70s this whole week. I am not complaining in the least. James and I shut off the HVAC last week and here's to hoping we don't have to turn it back on until June.

The other things that are springing up this week are the cherry blossoms. Oh those beautiful trees. Such a sight to see! They are peaking today through Friday. This is very early and at the very beginning of the National Cherry Blossom Festival. They hardly ever peak during the festival, but as this is the centennial celebration the festival is over a month long. James and I are planning on taking the boys this weekend early one morning to see the blossoms. Once they peak they tend to fall and wind and rain can speed up that process. However, cherry blossoms falling can be just as beautiful because it looks like pink snow!

I've changed the main photo of the blog in honor of the cherry blossoms. The above photo was taking in 2007 during my first spring working in DC. Which was also my first introduction to DC as a tourist attraction from the other side. I call them touristas because it adds a little flare as I mumble under my breath for them to get out of my way so I can go to work or go home. They will be everywhere for the next month while we wait out spring breaks and the National Cherry Blossom Festival. I shouldn't complain...out loud...and I won't. I'll just grin and bear it.

DC is at its most beautiful in the spring.....and if I were a tourista I would want to see it now too....

2 comments:

  1. Please take some photos of the cherry blossoms so that I may live vicariously through them! I miss riding my bike around the tidal basin at night to see all of the blossoms and monuments.

    ReplyDelete