Monday, April 25, 2011

Family visits

So we found out last Sunday that James' sister, Tab, and her family were in the DC area through the week. It was Spring Break for upstate New York and they decided to come and see our Nation's capital. I got a surprise text message Tuesday afternoon from Tab asking if I were busy since they were in the area. Turns out they were already in my building waiting for me downstairs! When I got off the elevator I was bombarded by three giggling girls: Makayla, Ronnie, and Dani (a.k.a. the Pixie). We sat downstairs in the Pavilion catching up and hearing about what they had seen and liked. I even brought them up the the eighth floor to see my cube, my view of the Washington Monument, and to look down into the Pavilion--the girls are afraid of heights :)

We made plans for dinner on Thursday, with them driving down from Maryland (where they were staying). Then on Thursday, there was a change in plans and they rode home with me on the Metro. They were all amazed at how I could tell them which station we were at without looking at a sign. That's what you get for riding Metro about five times a week for 4 1/2 years!

By the time we got home, James had finished grilling the burgers and the fries were almost done. It was chillier than it had been that week but we decided to eat outside. I decided to be adventurous with the "adult" burgers and used an America's Test Kitchen recipe for garlic, chipolte, and scallion burgers...yummy! And then just regular burgers for the girls. There wasn't much left from either!

Then it was talk, talk, talk among all of us. Ronnie and the Pixie played downstairs in the boys room. Makayla, the eldest, prefers to hang out with the adults, and more specifically me. But eventually they did pull out Kinder Bunnies and played a game while Tab, Jon, James, and I sat out back.

Then it was time to take them back to Metro. They would have a rather long trip back to Maryland, but they said it was worth it. And it was!

Tab, Jon, Ronnie, Makayla, and the Pixie

No comments:

Post a Comment