Friday, April 1, 2011

A Prairie Home Companion

A Prairie Home Companion Cast Photo
FROM LEFT: Fred Newman, Tim Russell, Sue Scott, Garrison Keillor

Photo credit: Dana Nye
A Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor has been a constant in my life. I don't ever remember not knowing what APHC or Garrison Keillor was. If you don't know what APHC is, well it is hard to explain. The short answer is that it is a variety radio show. The long answer is that it is a variety radio show that has been on the air roughly 30 years with comedy sketches, music, and Garrison Keillor's signature monologue, "The News from Lake Wobegon." Its "sponsors" are the American Duct Tape Council, the Catchup Advisory Board, and Powdermilk Biscuits (Heaven's! They're Delicious!). If it is 6:00 PM, and I am near a radio I am usually listening to APHC. The show has taken on a new twist for me lately as I expand my musical horizons to include bluegrass and Americana. So when Old Crow Medicine Show or Sara Watkins is on the show I am just happy as a clam!

Well, I am even more excited because I just bought tickets to see APHC live at Wolf Trap next month!! APHC comes every year to Wolf Trap it seems, and last year Molly and Chris went for the Friday night show. They said it longer and more racier than the live Saturday night broadcast so I am really looking forward to this experience.

Nothing like a Friday night, under the stars, having a picnic with your husband and family, listening to Garrison Keillor's voice, Guy's All-Star Show Band, and the Royal Academy of Radio Actors.....

1 comment: