Monday, April 18, 2011

Injury in the Name of Fashion

While I love my height in general I hate it in reality. Reality of shopping that is. Apparently if you are a woman over 5'7" you can't shop with the regular folk. You are a freak of nature and are regulated to the hinter lands of internet shopping just hoping that the company's sizing chart and quality control are up to snuff. If that company even believes in inseams that are greater than 32". Do I sound bitter?

I must admit that clothing companies in the recent years are catching on that tall women want to buy their clothes and the "tall" option for tops and pants have begun to emerge. But almost forget about shopping in a store. Especially if you are not a size 6 (which I'm not) so you are still regulated to the hinter lands of internet shopping. Do I sound bitter?

So shopping is not a lot of fun for me. Usually because I can't fit anything in the stores. I don't mind shopping in the spring or summer because I can get away with the short sleeves and skirts that are on the rack. Forget about winter. Not only because I dislike cold, but those are the most ill fitting clothes I own. Mostly too short in the arms and torso. There are a few companies that specialize in clothing for tall women. But even fewer physical stores that these companies occupy.

Luckily there is Long Tall Sally and their pop up shows! LTS is a British company that my mom read about in the newspaper in either 2000 or 2001. When Nancy and I went to London in March 2001 we went to the store and we were in love! A store devoted to women 5'9" or taller!? No regulars or petites in sight!? But it was in England. So we would group together purchases in order to save cost on shipping. Then a couple of years ago LTS bought out the Tall Girl Shop company which had stores in the US and Canada. As exciting that news was, we were then disappointed to learn that while the Canadian stores would remain open under the LTS brand, the US stores would close. Boo hoo. But the close out sale at the Tall Girl Shop in Tyson's Corner was pretty good. Then last October LTS had a "pop up show" in Washington, DC. Pop up shows are basically like having a store "pop up" for the weekend in a location so you can physically try on and purchase clothes from the catalog. Nancy and I went and it was amazing. Clothes that fit! Shirts that were long! Pants that started at 34" inseams!!!!!! Heaven!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And this past weekend was the first of two this year (the next one is in September). The rumor last October was that they are hoping to establish a store in the area. Now that looks like in one to two years. But until then they will continue to come to Washington, DC and offer these pop up shows. Halleluiah!!!!!

So why the title of the post "Injury in the Name of Fashion"? Well, I suffered an injury this past weekend while at the hotel where the pop up show was being held. My right foot slipped over the edge of a stair and proceeded to bend itself almost at a 90 degree angle around the edge. I fell straight down on my bottom and had to sit for a couple of minutes before getting up. I was afraid that I had broken my foot and was fearful of standing up and having my body go into shock like it did when I broke my left foot in 2006. Luckily when I did stand up all was well, except for the limp. And I wasn't going to let this stop me from shopping. I was hobbling all around the racks pulling clothes left and right. The sales associates were so nice and kept asking if I wanted ice, I told them no thanks...I had shopping to do....and shop I did. I love my new clothes! That fit!

Saturday night James took me to the ER to get X-rays and I didn't break any bones, it was a contusion, bruised, on the top of my right foot. I am now in a oh so attractive orthopedic shoe for the next couple of days. But I have a great pedicure so that off sets the ugliness of the shoe. It doesn't hurt unless I walk around without the orthopedic shoe. My fourth toe has seen better days and I am hoping that the bruising goes away shortly.  I'd take a photo but it would break the camera.

The things we do for fashion......

1 comment:

  1. I need to check out LTS--I'm in desperate need of some longer pants; I feel like I'm walking around in floods all of the time!

    ReplyDelete